The founder of SkyBridge Capital and former White House Director of Communications, Anthony Scaramucci, made a somewhat surprising statement earlier today saying that Elon Musk owns about $5 billion worth of BTC personally and through his companies.
- Elon Musk’s electric vehicle and clean energy giant, Tesla, made the news in February when it was revealed that the company had purchased $1.5 billion worth of BTC earlier this year.
- This impressive milestone in bitcoin’s adoption cycle came after a long and controversial history between the primary cryptocurrency and Musk, who previously dismissed the asset’s qualities on a few occasions.
- Now, though, SkyBridge Capital’s founder, Anthony Scaramucci, took it to Twitter to assert that Musk didn’t stop with only one BTC purchase for Tesla. Although he failed to provide sources, Scaramucci said: “I understand that SpaceX owns bitcoin on its balance sheet.”
- Furthermore, he believes that the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX has bought some portions of the cryptocurrency for himself and owns over $5 billion through his companies and personally.
- Scaramucci also touched upon the growing concern of BTC’s high energy consumption levels. However, he noted that there’s more to the story and Musk’s actions prove it.
“No living person has done more to protect the planet against climate change. [The] idea Elon Musk would invest in ‘dirty asset’ is absurd. [The] future of bitcoin mining is renewable energy. Elon Musk sees future 1) renewables replace fossil fuels 2) bitcoin demonetizes gold, RE, equities & art + becomes [the] dominant store of value.”
- Previously, Microsoft’s co-founder, Bill Gates, and Bank of America criticized the large amount of electricity needed to mine the first-ever cryptocurrency. Furthermore, BoA claimed that BTC uses the same amount of energy per year as countries like Greece.